SG50 - Thank You my dear ... Bus driver

Living abroad has made me much aware of the contributions to society different people make. I remember my first bus ride in Sydney. As I watched my fellow passengers alighted the bus, they thanked the bus driver as they were getting off. It really made me think.

"If you don't study hard, you'll end up driving a bus or cleaning the streets." I'm sure many other Singaporeans have been told that when they were young by a parent, a teacher or some other older person. They did sure mean well to wanting us to have a well-paying professional job. But without people doing some of these so-called 'undesirable' jobs, society wouldn't run as it would. These people are often overlooked by Singaporeans to the important work they do for us.

As we celebrate Singapore 50th year of independence this year, let's stop to thank all these people doing the so-called 'undesirable' but very important and skilled jobs making our society function so efficiently.
Photo from Asia One
Thank you my dear bus driver, train driver, taxi driver. Without you doing you work so efficiently, we won't be able to get to work or school on time. Without you, it will be challenging getting home to our families everyday.

Thank you my dear garbage collector. Without you, our chutes will be piling up with rubbish and bins be overflowing with garbage. Without you, our roads will be covered with leaf litter and rubbish.

Thank you my dear domestic helper. Without you, our homes will be in such a mess. Without you, many of our children will be left home alone.

Thank you my dear construction worker. Without you, we won't have our roads, homes, trains tracks.

Thank you my dear nurse. Without you, when we fall sick, there will be no one to professionally take care of us. I'm sorry that people don't think your job is professional. Till the day they understand that putting a intravenous catheter or indwelling urinary catheter in is a difficult skill; or how a minor medication error can lead to disaster.

Thank you my dear midwife. Without you, becoming a good mummy will be such an impossible task. Thank you for monitoring our pregnancies, birthing our babies and teaching us how to take care of our little ones.

Thank you my dear car repair man. Without you, when my car breaks down, I'm hopeless in fixing it myself.

Thank you my dear renovation contractor. Without you, our home will suffer from us trying to DIY our renovations in vain.

Thank you my dear postman. Without you, we won't be able to buy my stuff online.

Thank you my dear food court vendor, chefs. Without you, we won't be able to get freshly cooked hot lunches. Without you, we wont be able to enjoy those perfectly cooked, perfectly styled dishes. Without you, we would have to learn to make those special dishes ourselves in order to enjoy them.

Thank you my dear cleaner. Without you, our offices, our shopping centres, our food courts, our hospitals, will be unhygienic and disease will spread.

Thank you my dear barista and coffee shop drink seller. Without you, I will have to make my own coffee for my lunch.

Thank you my dear baker. Without you, we will have to work out how to bake our own cakes for our children on their birthdays.

Thank you my dear shop assistant, cashier. Without you, our shopping experience will be much more unpleasant.

Thank you my dear waiter. Without you, our restaurants will turn into self-serve joints.

Thank you my dear bartender. Without you, our bars, clubs and pubs will cease to exist and we would have to learn to mix drinks ourselves.

Thank you my dear admin assist, receptionist, phone operator. Without you, it will be much more taxing trying to run our offices and business. Without you, each of us would have to take up an administrative task as part of our already stretched jobs.

Thank you my dear factory worker. Without you, our manufacturing sector will come to a stand still. Without you, Jurong Island will not produce the black gold to keep our country wealthy.

Thank you my dear plumber, electrician, carpenter. Without you, we won't be able to fix our pipes when they leak. Without you, we won't be able to be able to install new lights. Without you, we will have to install our new kitchen ourselves.

Thank you my dear hairdresser, beautician, nail artist. Without you, we would have to learn to cut our own hair and style our own nails. Without you, we would not have the facials we enjoy and make our skin look great.

Thank you my dear massage therapist. Without you, we would have no one to help us feel better when hurt our backs or when we sprained our muscles.

Thank you my dear pastor. Without you, we won't have someone to teach us the bible every week and provide us leadership in church.

Thank you my dear police man, civil defence personal, SAF personal. Without you, we won't have such a safe country to live in. Without you, we won't have skilled people to rescue us in times of trouble.

It takes a very special someone to do any of these jobs. To do any of these jobs well should be applauded for. Let's not tell our kids, "If you don't study hard, you'll end up driving a bus or cleaning the streets." But let's thanks them all for making our country the way we enjoy it today.

Related Posts
SG50 - National Day Theme Songs
SG50 - 8 Ways Singaporeans Celebrate National Day
Singapore National Day Parade Songs (Patriotic Songs)
SG50 - A Brief History of Singapore National Day Parade (NDP)

To subscribe to my blog, please Like on our Facebook page.
To support my blog, please click on one of my sponsor's advertised links :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Stay at Home Day 9: Souffle Egg Omelette Garlic Chives Recipe

COVID-19 Stay at Home Day 8: Tomato noodles with seared pork, tofu and vegetables recipe

COVID-19 Stay-at-home Day 6: Kimchi Pork Stew Recipe