School Band - The yesteryears

I started taking up piano lessons when I was 4 in a Yamaha Music School. I hated it. At each class, I would turn off the volume on the electronic piano (Electone) so that no one would hear me play garbage. Whenever there were exams, our teacher would give us private one-to-one classes. For me, it would be a whole hour of crying as the teacher would hurl hurtful words at me. My mum realised those group classes weren’t for me and got me a private piano teacher. I didn’t enjoy it either, but was made to stick with it.

I was exposed to the performing arts while I was very young. I joined the church children’s choir when I was 4 and then the school choir when I was 9.  I had the opportunity whilst a very young child to sing in front of large crowds. I was in a large stage production called “Oh My Stars”, a Christmas musical, which was performed in an open air amphitheatre in Sentosa. I was in Kindergarten. Then when I was 10, I was in a large school concert for the school’s 60th Anniversary. I learnt the need for practicing to make perfect.

By the time I was in Secondary school, I had my rebellious streak. I joined a school well known for its performing arts. In particular, a school with a very rich school band history. My dad was a drum major back in his Secondary school years. I think he was quietly hoping I joined the school band. I took up another co-curricular activity (CCA) in Secondary 1 (Grade 7). But later was convinced by my good friends that I should join them in the school band, which I joined on 27 October that same year. The day I remember because it was the same day my youngest brother was born.

Though what I am going to say might be disturbing to some, till this day I have no regrets of the choice I made to join the school band. I've never shared this with anyone in my family. So mum and dad, don't flip out! I also don't hold it on any of my seniors described below, the past has gone, we all must move on.

I was not given a choice on what instrument I wanted to play. The band conductor looked at me, and said you look like you should join the Percussion section. Apparently, I had a “Percussion” look – which was a “cheeky” look. And no, I was not about to cause trouble with any intention, but I did.

The band was a symphonic (concert) band, meaning, we don’t march and play. It was very large. There were 40-45 students per grade, making the whole band around 170 players. It was divided into Junior Band made up of the younger players in Secondary 1 and 2 (Grades 7 and 8), and Senior Band (Secondary 3 and 4 or Grades 9 and 10). Junior band did not have the opportunity to perform like the senior band did, but it was seen an opportunity to polish up our instrumental skills. However due to the small percussion section in the senior band, I started performing at Secondary 1 (Grade 7). My first performance was at the Singapore Botanical Gardens. It was raining dreadfully.

Band was hierarchical. There was strict discipline instilled. Junior band players had to greet senior band players when they saw them with a “Good Morning/ Afternoon Ma’am”. Failure to do so will lead to punishment from either the senior band member or the band committee. This could be anything from a stern warning, to a serious scolding, or to push ups or running laps around the school. Junior band members often stuck together during recess so that we can help each other look out for senior members we needed to greet.

Sometimes this strict discipline was to correct attitudes. There would be scolding sessions, where the band committee would gather the whole band into a room and start yelling at members to improve their attitudes. This could be poor adherence to school uniform rules, punctuality and attendance to band practices and effort put into practicing. Often individuals were picked out, and mean words were hurled at the individual or would be made to run laps around the school or do push up in front of everyone.

Band was serious. We took practicing seriously. We had formal practice on Mondays and Wednesdays 2:30 - 6pm and on Saturdays 8:30 – 6pm. Discipline was instilled. 2:30 pm practice means you are all set up for ready by 2:30 pm. We would arrive at 2:15 pm. Set up, tune up and warm up all ready for a 2:30 pm practice.

Mondays were reserved for senior band members to each junior band members to play. There were no music tutors. All instrument instruction was from a senior to a junior member, often graduated members returned to assist with teaching. Saturday mornings were reserved for sectionals. There was a sense of respect that our seniors were too our teachers.

The seriousness of practice escalated at each year’s Band Concert or Singapore Youth Festival Central Judging and Band Competition. It was very important to us to not tarnish our band's name through producing poor performances. Practices increased to 6 days a week. We would practice and record ourselves on a MD (MiniDisc) player and playback to determine what needs improvement.

In order to improve sound projection, we often practiced in the school foyer. As a percussionist, this meant carrying all our instruments down 3 floors of steps and then 3 floors of steps up after the practice. There were no lifts in the school. Each piece of instrument was very heavy – up to 50kg. We were an all-girls band. Feminism was instilled in us. “If the boys can do it, so can we.” So we did, carrying the bulky xylophones, timpani, drum sets down and up all the stairs.

There was once after a concert, we had to move our instruments back. It was 11:30pm, I was exhausted. I was just 14, 45kg and carrying a 40kg xylophone with another band member. At the 2nd floor, both of us lost grip and the poor xylophone went crashing down about 10 steps. Nothing was broken, but we both got a very severe scolding after that. We were meant to treat our instruments like our husbands, and dropping it down the steps, even if it was an accident, was unacceptable.

The worst came when I had to attend remedial classes after school. School ended at 1:40pm. Remedial ended at 2:30pm. Band had already started at 2:15pm. I wasn’t allowed to have lunch and had to go straight to band practice. My mum found out and made a complaint to my class teacher who then raised it with the band teacher. I was allowed to have lunch after that, but it did come at a cost. I was labelled a complainer.

I also had a problem, just simply because of the way I looked. I have a perpetual smile. Even when I’m not happy, I look that way. Probably that’s the way I’ve learnt to deal with my depression.  Often our band conductor would kick me out of the practice room because I look like I was smiling while she was scolding someone. It really felt unfair. But I knew of friends who had it worse off than I did.

I promised myself when I became a senior band member that I would never be a bully. When I was in Secondary 4 (Grade 10), I was made my section’s assistant leader. I was strict when it came to instrumental excellence. Anything out of tempo, coming in late or wrong rhythm was simply unacceptable. When mistakes were made, I stopped to correct, but never to scold. I never made anyone run laps or do push ups. My section leader and I were generous in giving parts away to junior members so that they can have more exposure to performing. I learnt that to lead, was by setting a good role model. I worked hard improving my instrumental skills. When I graduated, I even told my juniors to stop greeting me “Ma’am”.

When I look back, I do fondly remembering how we won a Gold award at the competitions, the many concerts we put up at the Victoria Concert Hall and the exchange trip in Japan. I've come to realise that I had access to some of the very best percussion instruments too. In the 4 years, I gained excellent instrumental skills, excelling particularly in the snare drum, mallet percussion and small percussion. But even more, I learnt discipline, teamwork and how to be a good leader. I also learnt the effect of bullying and what it can do a person’s psyche.



Today, after so many years, I still listen not only listen to my year's (1999) competition recording but also of that of my juniors, who I taught, winning the Best Band of the Year Award in 2001. I do admit, they did perform better than we did. I fondly cherish the friendships made and will never forget the lessons learnt.

To subscribe to my blog, please Like on our Facebook page.
To support my blog, please click on one of my sponsor's advertised links :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 Stay at Home Day 9: Souffle Egg Omelette Garlic Chives Recipe

COVID-19 Stay at Home Day 8: Tomato noodles with seared pork, tofu and vegetables recipe

COVID-19 Stay-at-home Day 6: Kimchi Pork Stew Recipe